Hi James,

On Thursday 18 October 2007, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to run ssh/scp on XP and Vista. However there seems to be losts of
> different ideas about how best to do this. [1]. I need to be able to
> selective scp various files from a windows system to a gentoo system, so I
> do not want to be limited to the cygwin installation tree of files. [2]
>
> I'd be curious what folks on this list recommend, or any other software
> for such interoperability between gentoo and XP/vista systems.
>

> [1] http://www.openssh.com/windows.html
> [2]
> http://www.jfitz.com/tips/ssh_for_windows.html#Should_I_use_SSH_or_a_VPN

openssh is somewhat out of date - best you use CopSSH which installs both an
sshd and an ssh client.  Alternatively, you have the following options:

PuTTY for a command line ssh client which will also use public key
authentication, instead of password authentication.

Filezilla, for a ftp/sftp client (at this moment it only uses passwd
authentication).

WinSCP which can use a PuTTY style private/public key authentication.

You should be able to dig out the relevant links in Google, otherwise give me
a shout.

HTH.
--
Regards,