On Thursday 18 October 2007, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to run ssh/scp on XP and Vista. However there seems to be
> losts of different ideas about how best to do this. [1]

It seems to me that those mentioned in that page are only different
implementations of ssh clients and tools, but not different ideas.

> I need to be able to selective scp various files from a windows system
> to a gentoo system, so I do not want to be limited to the cygwin
> installation tree of files. [2]
>
> I'd be curious what folks on this list recommend, or any other
> software for such interoperability between gentoo and XP/vista
> systems.

I can only speak for XP, since so far I've not had many chances to work
with vista.
In the past I've used winscp, pscp (from putty), and scp (from
http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net), and I've never had a problem.

About the more general topic of linux/windows interoperability: you can
of course use samba to share folders and transfer files. Also, depending
on your needs and security concerns, even simple plain ftp might be
suitable.
Using a slightly different approach, you can use rdesktop to log into
windows and have selected linux drives/directories available inside
windows (see man rdesktop, the "-r" switch). I find this very handy when
there is no previous setup between the two boxes, and I don't want to
set up a full fledged ssh or samba only to transfer some files.

Hope this helps.