On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 11:52 -0330, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to forward X from machine B to machine A via ssh.  Machine A is
> running an X server.  On machine B I have in sshd_config:
>
> X11Forwarding yes
>
> On machine A I have in ssh_config:
>
> ForwardX11 yes
>
> I can ssh from A to B without problems but when I try to start a
> simple application:
>
> B ~ $ xclock
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> and
>
> B ~ $ echo ${DISPLAY}
>
> returns nothing.
>
> Having turned up the debugging level for sshd on B to DEBUG3 I see this in
> the logs:
>
> sshd[6659880]: debug2: bind port 6010: Cannot assign requested address
>
> This is repeated for ports 6011 to 6999 inclusive.  Then:
>
> sshd[6659880]: error: Failed to allocate internet-domain X11 display
> socket.

My first guess, and that's exactly what this is, is that it's some sort
of firewall or something else forbidding sshd to bind() to those ports.
Second guess is that something is actually already listening.  Also
check your SSH_CONNECTION environment variable on the server side and
ensure that everything looks as it should.

-a