Billy Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> one thing I have done in the past is turn up ssh in debug mode:
>
> /usr/sbin/sshd -p 23 -d
>
> then in another terminal
>
> ssh -p 23 $host

Your suggestion gave me the idea to run sshd with strace, the output
of which lead me here:

Even though the ssh server had ipv6 support in the kernel, and
ifconfig displayed an ipv6 as well as an ipv4 address it was failing.
I flailed around trying to find out how to disable ipv6 without
success.  In the end I recompiled the kernel without ipv6 support and
now X forwarding works.

I am assuming that I failed to set up ipv6 routing or something?
Anyway, the problem is fixed, if not quite solved.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Roger