Hi list,

The situation:
  I have some bash scripts written. The scripts contains a lot of
  string comparisons. Perhaps my code was buggy before, perhaps it was
  not, but the change

    "Quoting the string argument to the [[ command's  =~ operator now
    forces string matching, as with the other pattern-matching
    operators."

  between 3.1->3.2 complete breaks my script.

  I have been putting off upgrading to bash 3.2 because of this (I do
  fully intend to go back and fix all the problems with the script,
  just that I have a lot less free time now than 2 years ago when I
  wrote those scripts), but now the new version of portage demands
  bash 3.2 or better.

The question:

  Is there a switch that I can use to make bash run in some sort of
  compatibility mode for the string comparison? I.e, can I somehow
  force bash (in the script) to behave like before?

Thanks,

Willie
--
"Trillian did a little research in the ship's copy of
THHGTTG. It had some advice to offer on drunkenness.

- One of the more preferable pieces of advice contained in
the Guide.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 336 days, 18:03