Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu <at> unlimitedmail.org> writes:

> Of course, we're not talking of low-end switches here.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring

> Alternatively, although this is not exactly the same thing, you might
> want to consider using a network tap

COST is the key factor. Why pay somebody for something, when you can get
equivalient functionality for very few dollars. A flat hub is all
I need (want)...... With a flat hub and a portable, you can mix in
any amount of target software and do many things with a flat but
and a linux device.

I'd consider an embedded (linux) board with a few ports, if they
are or can be setup as a flat hub.

Thanks for your input,

James