On Sunday 16 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> All I get for iwconfig is
> lo            no wireless extensions
> eth0  no wireless extensions.

This means that the driver has not been loaded yet.  In generic terms you'll
need to install the necessary driver for your WiFi device (either the new one
in the kernel or emerge net-wireless/rtl8187, or ndiswrapper and the MS
Windows driver).  If you build the driver as a module then you need to
modprobe -v rtl8187, while you keep an eye on the logs to see how things go
(tail -f /var/log/messages).  You have seen this, right?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_rtl8187

> I think I need some more info in /etc/conf.d/net, and need somehow to
> create the necessary /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 or whatever driver.
>
> The only 'net.anything' drivers present at the moment are net.lo and
> net.eth0

You will of course have to manually create a symlink between net.wlan0 ->
net.lo (or whatever your new WiFi device is recognised as by the kernel) so
that you can bring it up by running /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start.  But this is
only necessary for autoloading the driver through the runlevel scripts.  To
try it out follow the instructions in the Wiki page above.
--
Regards,
Mick