Hi Jeff,

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> I have checked, and ndiswrapper and  the rtl8187 package were uninstalled.
> I think that the problem I have may be more basic.
>
> The card I have is an 8197, not an 8187.  I wonder if this is part of the
> problem.  Could it be that the kernel driver does not support the 8197?
>
> The attached weblink suggests that this may be the case:
> http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/2007/09/26/no-more-vista/
>
> Does anyone know how I can locate the equivalent code in the kernel and
> perhaps perform a similar modification?

(can you please stop top-posting, it makes reading of threads difficult in
this mailing list).

Your device may still be supported by the driver.  The problem may exist with
the wpa_supplicant.  You could try commenting out the wpa_supplicant in
your /etc/conf.d/net file and using net-wireless/wireless-tools instead.
Then try again to see if it a)finds the access point (try iwlist wlan0
scanning), b)associates with it (try iwlist wlan0 accesspoint) .  Of course
you will need to remove WPA from the AP.  Should all this succeed you can
work your way up from there.

PS.  I haven't managed to make wpa_supplicant work with my device rt2570usb
for more than a year now, but haven't tried recently.
--
Regards,
Mick