On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 20:16 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
> I want to add a grub menu entry that will load the system without
> starting gdm, just like the livecd does when the 'nox' kernel parameter is
> passed. I poked around the CD a bit to figure out how that's done but
> failed. Does the kernel have to be modified to do this? Thanks for any
> pointers.

I don't know what the livecd does but you certainly don't have to modify
a kernel to do something like that.

The way I see it there are two possible solutions:

1. Create a new runlevel, say "nox" and just don't put xdm in the
runlevel.  The drawback to this is you have to maintain another
runlevel.

2. Edit /etc/init.d/xdm (or better yet, make a copy of your own and edit
it) that simply checks for the existence of, say "nox" in /proc/cmdline
and exit immediately if so.

Then change your grub config as appropriate.