> > Here is an excellent interview with Ciaran McCreesh about Paludis:
> >
> > http://lab.obsethryl.eu/content/paludis-gentoo-and-ciaran-mccreesh-uncensored
> >
> Thanks for the link.

It really got the meta-wheels turning for me.  I found especially
interesting the fact that Paludis's use on Gentoo is crippled due to
incompatibilities between it and Portage.  This is, of course, brought
about by the "Portage" tree.

Also:

"What are your plans regarding the future of Paludis as a Gentoo
related technology should Paludis for various reason reach the event
horizon of being able to provide a completely new GNU/Linux
Distribution both in the technical and social framework meaning of the
term?"

"I don't have a problem with supporting multiple distributions with
Paludis. I know that a couple of people are using Paludis for small,
internal-use-only distributions where they need things that Gentoo
can't deliver. Supporting other distributions or formats doesn't mean
dropping Gentoo or ebuilds."

And:

"Or is there interest in creating from scratch a distribution based
entirely on Paludis?"

"I've heard a rumour that some people are experimenting with a
replacement tree that uses functionality offered by Paludis but not
Portage (not so much to create a Paludis-based distribution as to
create a better tree that Portage could theoretically support at some
point). But there's nothing open to the public just now."

- Grant