On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:24:01 +0100
Bo Ørsted Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Which would add an awful lot of complexity and require major design
> changes in order to gain anything. The beauty of the ebuild format is
> its simplicity. I don't really think it's worth it.

I agree.  I have noticed that for general emerge operations, about 1GHz
of processor power will be able to hit the I/O bandwith cap on my
fastest drives.  In other words, I don't think lots of the time spent
withh portage -- on modern systems -- is on the processor.

You'd have better results -- and an easier time -- if you optimized the
FS for Portage, I would imagine.