On 18:20 Mon 24 Dec     , [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On 2007-12-24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm attempting to remove X from a former desktop machine now
> >> going to see action as a semi-DMZ.
> >
> > That sounds like a lot of work.  My guess is that it would be a
> > faster and easier to wipe the disk and install from scratch.
>
> I would have done that without hesitation had it not been for the fact
> that this installation is a vm guest on winXP and I had a heck of a
> time getting it to work with gentoo.
>
> But as it turned out it wasn't all that hard.  Mainly because it was
> kind of a basic installation even though it had X and KDE desktop.
>
> The fact that emerge can swallow giant size lists of stuff to
> uninstall was a big bonus.  I didn't go over 86 on cmdline and just
> settled for doing it multiple times, but I think it would have
> swallowed more if I had.
>
> --

Something to remember for the future:

You can delete entries in the world file

Personally, I find that faster than going through and finding what is
already installed, and doing the uninstall the long way. emerge --tree
should help some, as well, but for a basic install (<30 packages in
world), deleting the entries should be the fastest way, followed by an
emerge --depclean.