I think this is one of those multifactorial problems, and I'm unable
to pin down the exact cause.  I did several things that might have
conspired to make printing stop working.  I have a new motherboard,
M2N-E, from ASUS, with a dual core AMD64-X2 processor (dual core),
that has given me fits booting.  I moved to the new motherboard after
having compiled a first approximation to an SMP kernel with support
for features and hardware I know about, then at last I tried a world
update, after I'd been using gentoo for a few days.  I had been
printing all this time.

My initial investigations (ie, google) revealed  a large number of
problems with the motherboard involving APIC or ACPI.  Both, I think.
Other problems mentioned were SATA, and I saw more than one reference
to USB.  USB and SATA are now sharing an interrrupt with that gentoo
boot.

When attempting to print or set up printing with CUPS: the printer
shows up in CUPS as HPLIP.  I had another printer on USB, and while I
recall always CUPS showed me USB printers, both, as choices for found
printers, no solely USB entries were seen.  The other printer now has
burned up in what I hope was a disconnected incident, a Brother
HL1440, the fan burned out.  I can install the HP multifunction as the
HPLIP printer, and it shows as ready, but when I print, no printer
action happens, and the jobs are immediately marked as stopped.  I
suspect some USB foibles, but the flash drives work fine.  I
recompiled with usblp as a module and compiled in, and several times
recompiled, but got stuck in a place where I couldn't see a way out.

When attempting to boot to that kernel, or other gentoo kernels I have
compiled around (I do not use initrd/genkernel), almost every time
since the initial boot (that went ok), the machine locks up during
boot.  It might take three or four attempts, but the machine locks up
somewhere during the process.  After cupsd has been started, somewhere
around where syslog-ng is started, or hal, the machine locks.  The
next boot it stops ate approximately the same place, or perhaps
further along.  Finally, usually three or four boots later, it boots
and no further problems are experienced.

Partly because I needed to print, and partly to rule out hardware
issues, I booted ubuntu 7.10, and installed.  No problem has been
encountered over the past few days of using ubuntu.  I can print, and
no lockups are encountered (so far, KOW).

This is distressing.  I enjoy not having to fiddle around, not
spending so much time maintaining the system, and it's almost
lightning quick to install packages!.  Perhaps I'll use Ubuntu for a
while---but I'd sure like to solve this problem.  I just tried an
incantation (kernel parameter) that had been recommended somewhere.
(noapic nolapic acpi=off pci=noacpi), but still got the same behavior.
 Sometime soon I'll try to recompile the kernel or back down to
2.6.22.  (I'd only compiled 2.6.23 for this new motherboard).

I thank several list denizens for suggestions.  I apologize for taking
so much time in explaining this again, but I'd really appreciate any
suggestions, before I become more committed to using Ubuntu.

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
       ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man