I went to rip a few CDs today. It used to work. It's always worked .
It's worked for years it worked.

Today it doesn't work....

First problem is apps don't see the CDs. Running sound-juicer in a
terminal mentioned hald might not be running. I look in rc-update and
find hald. I start it. sound-juicer works, sort of. It starts ripping,
eventually says it finished, but when I look at the directory when the
flac files are supposed to be I get maybe 2 out of 10. The rest are
all 0 bytes. No error messages at all.

How could I rip flac files by hand and get more info?

What is hald and when did it show up as necessary. I watched movies
using xine the other day and didn't need it. Is this a
Gnome/sound-juicer thing or something more global?

What's wrong with ripping?

Thanks,
Mark