Hi!

Hald is, if I'm not wrong, the daemon for HAL, Hardware Abstraction
Layer, it's an interface used to ease communication between software
and hardware of your computer. It keeps info from your hardware so
it's easier to access/modify them at any time, including new devices
that you might connect.

http://wlug.org.nz/HAL

=)

Naiani