On 2008-01-13 16:29:15 (+0000), Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:53:48 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>
> > > You also need the handbook, a portage snapshot and a stage tarball.
> > > How many live CDs provide these?
> >
> > None. But the portage snapshot is best fetched from the web
> > anyway, as far as I'm concerned. Same with the handbook, as
> > it may contain (theoritcal) up-to-the minute corrections.
> >
> > So, the portage snapshot and handbook don't have to on the
> > Live CD.
>
> No, but it's a lot easier if they are when doing a networkless install.

I think that's what the whole discussion here is about. Should Gentoo
become an elite meta-distro or do we actually want 'less then ultimate
geek' people using it. A lot of the very verbal people over here seem to
want the former.

I agree that Gentoo shouldn't become an Ubuntu like distro, but the
minimal install cd is, at least for me, a requirement.

If there's too much work for the current devs then they should do
something about it. After the whole p.g.o mess a lot of people,
including myself, offered to become a dev. But I'm still awaiting
replies from 3-4 herds.

The whole discussion going on over here has a much deeper cause, lack of
leadership. Every dev does what seems best for him or his herd, but the
bigger whole seems to be lacking a lot. And I'm affraid that untill
deeper problems are solved, Gentoo will keep losing users and more
important, keep losing credability.

Regards,

Ken