On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:42:35AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote

> The official release is an indication of the life of a distribution
> or package.  Look at one of Keith Packard's reasons for leaving
> Xfree86 (slow release cycle), or Gnome's recent push to speed their
> release cycle.

  One, of several, reason I left Windows in 2001 was...
1995 Windows95
1996 Windows95 OSr2
1998 Windows98
1999 Windows98SE
2000 Windows ME and Windows2000
2001 WindowsXP
..and I believed MS when they said Vista was "real soon now"<g>.

  I don't use linux to install linux, I use linux as a tool to do email,
spreadsheets, web surfing, etc.  And I've got nothing on businesses.
They don't want their high-paid admins constantly spending their time
installing "the latest and greatest".  Businesses want to "set it and
forget it".  A few data points...

in the leadup to Y2K, there were a lot of mainframe/mini programs
replaced that had been running unmodified for 10 or 20 years

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04/12/missing_novell_server_discovered_after/
tells about a university where a wall was built that happened to
imprison a server.  It kept happily chugging away, and it wasn't until 4
years later, during an audit, that it was finally tracked down, by
following the network cabling

one of Redhat's selling points with Redhat Enterprise Linux is the
promise of a slower release cycle.  Timely security patches, yes.  But OS
version du jour, NO.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I'm not repeating myself