Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > ideas?

> fsck. If that fails, copy off the data you can and reformat, the
> filesystem is screwed.

Roger that.

Here's an idea, since it's a minimal firewall, that I'm currently using,
and scp works.

dd  over ssh everything onto a 8G Compact Flash card  that is plugged
into another system and then install the CF card into an ide-to-cf socket
reboot and then emerge-sync? think this will work?

The partions are simple on the existing firewall:
/dev/hda3              18G  2.1G   16G  12% /
udev                  125M  2.6M  123M   3% /dev
shm                   125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1             393M   46M  347M  12% /boot

Next format the CF card similar to the above scheme.

<not sure exactly how to run dd over ssh any (syntax) ideas? >

Then install CF disk into similar arch machine (amd k6)and boot it
up.

Since I have quite a few of these machine and several friends
running on similar firewalls, it's time I start using CF drvies
and develop a procedure to replicate the firewalls, without
3 days of install, configuring and compiling.

Do you think this will work?
Did I miss any steps?

I do not want to reboot until I get an second firewall working.....

James