On Saturday 02 February 2008, Dale wrote:
> Carter, Dwayne wrote:
> > << SNIP >>
> > [blocks B     ] <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking
> > app-admin/python-updater-0.2)
> >
> > [blocks B     ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking
> > sys-apps/shadow-4.0.18.1-r1) [blocks B     ] <net-misc/dhcpcd-2.0.0
> > (is blocking sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.10-r5) [blocks B     ]
> > sys-apps/modutils (is blocking sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.4) <<
> > SNIP >>
>
> Normally I would say unmerge the blocks and emerge the blockers and
> update them first.  However, I'm not sure about that pam-login one.
> If you do unmerge that one, do NOT logout until you have it updated.
> I would recommend switching to another console and logging in to make
> sure it works too.
>
> > [ebuild     U ] dev-libs/expat-2.0.1 [1.95.6-r1]
>
> Oh no, is that the one I think it is.  You may want to search the
> forums for the expat update.  Let me know if you can't find it.  Has
> it been a while since you updated?

Yes, Dale is correct.

Dwayne, you have all the major updates from the past year hitting your
box in one go, and they all have to be approached in specific sequence.
The general idea is of course to unmerge the blockers and merge the
things that replace them.

I would handle pam first. Keep a root console or two open, find the
howto or wiki page that tells you how to do this step and do just that
one (i.e. don't try and do it along with everything else in world). Get
this one working, then handle the python-updater in the same way (btw,
your version of python - 2.3 - is now unmaintained and will be leaving
the tree soon).

Finally do the expat upgrade. Now this is the big one and there is a
complete howto/wiki page that tells you how to do it. This one will
take a long time, as half your system will use the old version of expat
and you will only have a new one (!) Use revdep-rebuild to fix that,
preferably overnight.

Finally, you have two packages that are not in portage anymore:

gs-sources
vi

I don't know what gs-sources were for, you should switch to a supported
set of kernel sources.

The vi ebuild has been replace with app-editors/vim, so do:

emerge -C vi ; emerge vim

To fix this.

When was this box last updated? 2005 sometime?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com