From: Dale [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 3:06 AM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage problems

Carter, Dwayne wrote:
> << SNIP >>
> [blocks B     ] <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking
app-admin/python-updater-0.2)

> [blocks B     ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking
sys-apps/shadow-4.0.18.1-r1)
> [blocks B     ] <net-misc/dhcpcd-2.0.0 (is blocking
sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.10-r5)
> [blocks B     ] sys-apps/modutils (is blocking
sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.4)
> << SNIP >>

Normally I would say unmerge the blocks and emerge the blockers and
update them first.  However, I'm not sure about that pam-login one.  If
you do unmerge that one, do NOT logout until you have it updated.  I
would recommend switching to another console and logging in to make sure
it works too.

> [ebuild     U ] dev-libs/expat-2.0.1 [1.95.6-r1]

Oh no, is that the one I think it is.  You may want to search the forums
for the expat update.  Let me know if you can't find it.  Has it been a
while since you updated?

Maybe someone else will see something else and chime in.

Dale

:-)  :-)