On 2008-02-03, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> So you're saying ssh running on an unusual port is good
>> enough?

For some value of "good enough", yes.

> I'm no expert, but from my logs: SSH attempts (from bots in
> Shanghai and the like) on port 22 number in the thousands,
> unexpected SSH attempts on the nonstandard ports I run SSH on
> (actually it's firewall-level port forwarding) have not yet
> been logged.

I usually run ssh on non-standard ports.  It does cut down a
lot on breaking attempts.  It's still an open port, and you
still need to make sure ssh/openssl is kept updated.
Blacklisting a source IP after multiple failed attempts within
a time period is probably a good idea regardless.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I just went
                                  at               below the poverty line!