On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:27:24 -0800
Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well thank you for that.  I had planned on setting up port knocking
> for ssh and cups but I guess I'm just as well off leaving them
> listening on 22 and 631?

Fail2Ban, though a little intensive, seems to be a decent method for
avoiding unwanted SSH traffic while accepting trusted traffic.  I have
seen one deployment where it seems passably inconspicuous, at least.

Alternately, if you run SSH on an unusual port, you're unlikely to see
much Bot traffic.  I would recommend this, if you're concerned, above
port knocking myself -- relying on a complicated "pre-authentication"
method rather than / in addition to a remote admin tool like SSH seems
to be asking for problems.

> As for printing from lpr to cups across the internet, I should be
> encrypting that data shouldn't I?  Nothing too sensitive but it sounds
> like a good thing to do.  It looks like cups can use ssl but I don't
> see any mention of it in man lpr.

SSH Tunneling and VPN come to mind too, but I must ask - what good is
printing a physical document across the net, unless the printer is
still only a little way away, and if so, what is it doing behind a
public network? I am curious about this deployment.