On 2/8/08, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I sometimes forget that some people actually use XP as an alternate OS
> (for me it's just there in case I forget how bored with games I am)

Well, other than games, Windows can at times prove a useful companion.

What's good about it is that after a reboot it often functions exactly
as it did after a previous reboot. On Gentoo, you make a system
update, your apache glitches: no printing; you mess up with the
libraries versions (updating some, others leaving as they are), vlc
refuses to start: no DVD menus. I have also not yet managed to
configure my HP PSC machine to scan on Gentoo. Once I was playing with
the config files, emerging, re-merging to get it working, but I
subsequently decided that it was easier to switch to Windows in the
rare cases that I need scanning. [All these, of course, were personal
examples.]

The idea: Windows feels lame, offering however certain functionality
out-of-the-box; Gentoo (in combination with Xfce) feels sweet,
breaking however too often too easy without much contribution from my
side.

Liviu