On 15 Feb 2008, at 18:21, Michael Higgins wrote:
Anyway, I puzzled a bit and decided 'fetchmail' sounds pretty good,
pretty much what I want to do here. But, it needs sendmail...?? I don't
want a MTA on this box. So, I see 'procmail' is an alternative target.
Hmm.

I use maildrop here, instead of procmail, and am very happy with it.

In a multiuser system I might use this minimal configuration in each user's ~/.mailfilter:

  MAILBOX="$HOME/.maildir"
  to "${MAILBOX}"

I'm not sure if it's possible to reduce this, set a default global variable so that it will default to ~/.maildir for all users, or run without ~/.mailfilter files - I tend to just stick the above in /etc/ skel.

I got the mail off the server, but now it's in my 'own' .maildir folder.
As I will need to set up a dump folder for a bunch of different
accounts, this won't do.

`man fetchmail` is long, perhaps a little difficult to read, but comprehensive, IME:

Here's what a simple retrieval configuration for a multi- drop mailbox
       looks like:

         poll pop.provider.net:
user maildrop with pass secret1 to golux 'hurkle'='happy' snark here

This says that the mailbox of account `maildrop' on the server is a multi-drop box, and that messages in it should be parsed for the server user names `golux', `hurkle', and `snark'. It further specifies that `golux' and `snark' have the same name on the client as on the server, but mail for server user `hurkle' should be delivered to client user
       `happy'.

It's usual to use the global /etc/fetchmail file for the user / password declarations, in this case. This is read when you run fetchmail using the /etc/init.d/fetchmail script.

Stroller.