Hi!

I noticed a very annoying behavior. I've got a headless server (Athlon
64 X2) which primarily acts as a personal video recorder using mencoder
and at-daemon. In its idle-time it's supposed to run a dnet-client.

Then I've got a laptop (64bit Celeron, single core) on which I play
those video files from my server over NFS.

So far, so good. My problem is: Neither of them can handle
recording/playing video while there is any background activity. That
means I have to stop the dnet-daemon and suspend any emerges on my
laptop. If I don't, both mencoder and mplayer loose sync of audio and
video and drops frames.

Apparently a nice-setting of 19 is not enough to keep daemons and
similar stuff as strict idle activity. It still gets a fair amount of
cpu-time.

Of course, I could give mencoder/mplayer real-time priority (nice -n 20)
but that would need them to run in super-user mode which should be
unnecessary for such a simple task.

Long story short, can I somehow tweak the scheduler to be more
aggressive when it comes to high nice-levels?

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp