On Sunday 24 February 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I noticed a very annoying behavior. I've got a headless server
> (Athlon 64 X2) which primarily acts as a personal video recorder
> using mencoder and at-daemon. In its idle-time it's supposed to run
> a dnet-client.
>
> Then I've got a laptop (64bit Celeron, single core) on which I play
> those video files from my server over NFS.
>
> So far, so good. My problem is: Neither of them can handle
> recording/playing video while there is any background activity.
> That means I have to stop the dnet-daemon and suspend any emerges
> on my laptop. If I don't, both mencoder and mplayer loose sync of
> audio and video and drops frames.

By dnet-daemon you mean dnetc, right? If you run dnetc with nice 19
and simultaneously something that uses as much CPU as it can get
(like a fractals generator) at nice 0, you will see that dnetc still
uses around 6% CPU. But it does go down to 6%. The remaining CPU
should be enough for watching video. Disclaimer: I have never used
mplayer on a 64bit system. It might have issues there.

Since you are playing the video over NFS you do so over the network.
Maybe a stupid question: You do use FastEthernet without any hub,
right? Switches are alright but hubs are evil.

A possiible work around might be to increase the buffer in mplayer to
something around 1MB.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia: