Chuck Robey wrote:
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:58:55 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:

>>  *  The die message:
>>  *   Please reemerge =x11-libs/qt-3* with USE="opengl".
>>
>> asks me to rebuild something that doesn't exist.
> It does exist, the wildcard tells portage to install the latest 3
> version. Try doing what it says in the message, although you should quote
> the package atom to stop the shell trying to interpret the *.

> emerge -1av '=x11-libs/qt-3*'

Thanks,  That's what i was after (although my curiosity is going to be
looking to see what gets selected). The reply I got from the other fellow,
on SLOTs, was really interesting, but I haven't found out how to use slots
yet, just that they do seem a great idea.

Your reply, OTOH, showed me how to go forward, and I thank you.

I'm going to shoot up a flare but I may not be able to shoot it in a way that will visible. Look as close as you can. ;-)

Example:

KDE. There is currently two versions of KDE available. We have the stable and widely used KDE 3 and the unstable KDE 4. Even if KDE 4 was not masked and was stable, you could still have KDE 3 and KDE 4 on the same system at the same time. You could use KDE 3, log out of it then select KDE 4 and log into the new KDE 4. KDE is slotted. Slotted just basically means you can have two versions of the same package(s) on the same system at the same time.

Back to the qt thing you are dealing with. I check this way but there are other ways to do this.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # equery list qt
[ Searching for package 'qt' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [  ] dev-libs/dbus-qt3-old-0.70 (0)
[I--] [  ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r4 (3)
[I--] [  ] x11-libs/qt-4.3.2-r1 (4)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

I have qt3 and qt4 on here. Can't recall what pulled in qt4 at the moment but they coexist very well. Note the (3) and (4) on the end there? That's what tells you it is slotted. If a program needs qt3 then it uses it. If it needs qt4 then it can use it. If you want to re-emerge qt3 manually, you can do it this way. emerge =x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r4 will emerge qt3. Emerge knows to do qt3 because there is a equal sign in front that tells it the specific version you want to emerge. If you just type in emerge qt, it will emerge the highest version available but not the qt3 version.

So, does this help any? Somebody speak up if I am mistaken somewhere.
Dale