Chuck Robey wrote:

It's certainly an aid, at least the bottom part (like i'd said, I;d foound
several different Gentoo docs giving me descriptions of what slots are, so
I knew that, just that there seem to be no docs anywhere I can locate IN
Gentoo that tell you HOW to use slots.  So, now I know that the parens
signal the slot info, but how do I choose them, select one over anther, adn
even to search for them in emerge?  You gave nice examples, but do you see
why I so much dislike examples when they come INSTEAD OF the full syntax
description? Cause then you only learn what the example wants to show, and
people don't present exhaustive examples, because (reasonably enough)
examples aren't meant to be exhaustive, that's what the syntax explanations
are for.  I just wish that a rule would be promulgated in Gentoo
documentation that no one could be allowed to present an example unless
they'd gotten out a syntax explanation first.  It won't happen, but I wish
it would.

Well, what is sloted is determined by the devs not us. I'm not sure that you can tell something to be slotted if it is not set up to be slotted. So, you don't have to worry about how to make something slotted. If it needs to be slotted, it will be done by the devs in the portage tree.

I use equery a lot myself. Some use eix. Your preference. Use whichever you like. To find out what version(s) of a package you have installed, just do a equery list foo and it will list the version(s) that are installed. If you do a equery list -p foo then it will list what is installed followed by all the version(s) that are available. List means for it to list the ones installed. The -p from my understanding means to list all the packages in portage.

I see your point about examples. I try to give a example then explain what each function does when needed. I sort of dislike the man pages too. Most of them may as well be Greek. No offense to the Greeks on this list tho.
Dale

:-)  :-)