On Sun, 16. Mar, W.Kenworthy spammed my inbox with
> I believe that writing a file to a single location is not the way to do
> this: you need to write a byte to the usb key in the same location, but
> need to ensure it continually changes: perhaps rotating 1's/0's.
> Alternatively, the concern is that the FAT/inode table or the like is
> where the most wear will occur - perhaps concentrate there?

Yeah, if I have the stick mounted sync and always copy and delete a file, some
bytes should get flipped around regularly. *If* there is no internal wear
leveling, that is. On USB sticks with internal wear leveling, you will, from a
size of about 1 GB upwards, never (Well, perhaps after 10 years...)  see a
failure due to media wear.

For the record: My USB stick has now gone through 78560 read/write cycles and is
still happily copying.

Regards,
Jan

--
thenybble.de/blog/ -- four bits at a time