Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:20:39 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
>

>> Next thing I would never have thought of: the root file system was too
>> small. I made it 500 MB bis, as /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp and /home are on
>> LVM. A little small because of /root/.ccache, but I usually symlink
>> that to somewhere else.
>>

> You could set $CCACHE_DIR, which seems less kludgy to me.
>

>> But why is /lib/modules larger than 300 MB?
>>

> Because you have built your kernel with CONFIG_KITCHENSINK=m?
>
> % du -h /lib/modules/$(uname -r)
> 9.9M    /lib/modules/2.6.24-tuxonice-r3

$ du -h /lib/modules/$(uname -r)
19M    /lib/modules/2.6.23-gentoo-r6
> Hmmm, it's 22MB on my desktop, time to start pruning .config.
>
> % df -h /
> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda5 reiserfs    385M  189M  196M  50% /

/dev/sda1             9.9G  8.1G  1.3G  87% /

That includes everything except /home.
> That includes /boot with two kernels.

I haven't run into any significant problems with x86_64. To use flash
and shockwave I just use wine and the windows version of Firefox, it
works perfectly for me. Everything else I've tried either works, or has
a suitable alternative that I don't mind using, but this rarely happens.

-Hal