On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Uwe Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've revived an old Gentoo laptop, but I've forgotten the root
>  > password.  I remember the password to my user account and I can log
>  > in there fine.  Can I recover the root password?
>
>  If you could passwords were useless. ;-)
>
>  But you can boot from a LiveCD, mount your harddrive, chroot and then
>  give root another password.

But then, conventional passwords are as useless. One needs no more
than physical access to the computer, a LiveCD and a couple minutes in
order to become the super user of your system. Basically, the password
seems useful only to know whether anyone has changed it behind your
back.

I am starting to wonder why am I so attached to my root password being
strong.. :)
Liviu