Florian Philipp wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:35 -0400, Benjamen R. Meyer wrote:
My main question comes down to this: I am using the 'genkernel' package to build & install the kernel and initrd image. Both show up in /boot. How much can I rely on genkernel to build a valid initrd image?
Try "genkernel menuconfig all" to check for a valid kernel config before
genkernel builds it. Refer to genkernel's man-page for further options.

Yes, I did that. I ran genkernel, and generated it all. The initrd just doesn't seem to be working.

How can I mount the initrd image to verify it has the modules, etc. and verify it is a valid image?
There is a wiki-entry about it: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Initramfs

Ok, so I used zcat to decompress the image, and then cpio to extract the data to a temporary folder. (The instructions on the wiki didn't work for some reason...complaints about finding cpio and zcat complaining about arguments). Any how...

I snooped around the extracted files and was unable to find either the qla2xxx module (or the qla2200 modules, or any modules for that matter) or the qla2200 firmware. The firmware is on the hard drive (/dev/sda1 -> /lib/firmward/qla2200_fw.bin), and so is the module - /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko. Is the initrd image invalid?? Or are they stored somehow in the files non-obviously?

How could I easily add them to the initrd image? (This is really my first time playing with initrd images...)

Thanks,

Ben