Florian Philipp wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:31 -0400, Benjamen R. Meyer wrote:
Florian Philipp wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:35 -0400, Benjamen R. Meyer wrote:
How can I mount the initrd image to verify it has the modules, etc. and verify it is a valid image?
There is a wiki-entry about it: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Initramfs
Ok, so I used zcat to decompress the image, and then cpio to extract the data to a temporary folder. (The instructions on the wiki didn't work for some reason...complaints about finding cpio and zcat complaining about arguments). Any how...

I snooped around the extracted files and was unable to find either the qla2xxx module (or the qla2200 modules, or any modules for that matter) or the qla2200 firmware. The firmware is on the hard drive (/dev/sda1 -> /lib/firmward/qla2200_fw.bin), and so is the module - /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko. Is the initrd image invalid?? Or are they stored somehow in the files non-obviously? How could I easily add them to the initrd image? (This is really my first time playing with initrd images...)
They are in lib/modules. I think it should work if you just copy the
modules to their respective folder and add their names to the respective
file in etc/modules.

Okay, I tried this two ways:

1) touched files in /etc/modules with the module names. (Probably not right) - didn't work.

2) added all the files in /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi and sub-directories to /etc/modules/scsi - didn't work. Perhaps I need to add the information for the firmware???

To create a initrd new initrd, use the following command:
find . | cpio --quiet --dereference -o -H newc | gzip -9 >/boot/initrd

Okay, used this instead of the lengthy process I was doing before:

find ./ | cpio -H newc -o > /boot/initrd.bmeyer.cpio
gzip /boot/initrd.bmeyer.cpio
mv /boot/initrd.bmeyer.cpio.gz /boot/initrd.bmeyer

Any how...still stuck. Think I'm further along..but don't know.

FYI - right after it runs 'mdev' there is a line saying it can't find 'ls'...not sure if that is an error with mdev, or an error after mdev. Either way, I can't find out since the system goes unusable until I reboot manually (cycle power).

TIA,

Ben