On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm updating my newer machine (the hot-backup).  Last time was in
> mid-February.  After doing an emerge --sync and updating portage, I'm
> getting a mysterious message at the end of...
>
> emerge --pretend --deep --update --world > x
>
> ...namely...
>
> [blocks B] <=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking
> x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)
>
>   I've tried the usual...
> grep openmotif /etc/portage/*
> revdep-rebuild --ask
>
>   Nothing shows up from either one.  What do I do next?

What's confusing about that? The reason is in the ebuild for
x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1 where it's configured to not co-exist with
any earlier version. Look carefully at the "<=" and version numbers...

To fix: unmerge the existing openmotif, merge the new one

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com