On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:40:44 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> I figure that an older version of program x should
> not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program x.  Isn't
> that the whole point of "--update"?

It is, but the way portage updates packages is to install the new version
and then uninstall the old. This means that at some point, you have files
from both releases installed. This usually causes no problems, but
occasionally it does so you have to remove the old package first, hence
the block.

--
Neil Bothwick

Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them