Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Mittwoch, 2. April 2008, Steven Lembark wrote:
Liviu Andronic wrote:
 > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >>> By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
 >>> should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).
 >>
 >>  Since I wanted to shutdown instead of reboot, it would be ALT + SysRq
 >> + S + U + O then correct?
 >
 > Are there any potential harms to the hardware / system in case one
 > tends to abuse (i.e. use more often than necessary) of this command?
 > It's so often so tempting to shut down your system fast.

Short of a serious emergency (e.g., UPS with
30-sec lag and no input power) stick with
'shutdown -fh now'. The main problem is that
you bypass the stop phase of all the app's
started up via init.d; very little short of
just hitting the reset switch or yanking the
power.

if you do it the right way, start with 'e' and 'i', all apps are cleanly terminated/killed. So if an app does not quit cleanly, it is broken.

The correct sequence is: e,i,u,b/o and it is absolutly save.

Folks, keep in mind why I asked this question in the first place. My power supply was frying and I needed a VERY fast shutdown. This was not asked as a fast way to shutdown just because we are impatient or something. This was for the event of a serious emergency where I needed a shutdown in just a very few seconds not a minute or two. Some of my services take a while to stop, foldingathome being the longest one.

Basically, this is not intended to be used to shutdown a puter on a regular basis, unless you burn out P/S's on a daily basis. O-o

Just didn't want someone to be using this on a regular basis and then wondering why their system has a new nickname, FUBAR. :'(

Dale