Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
>>> should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).
>>>
>>  Since I wanted to shutdown instead of reboot, it would be ALT + SysRq + S +
>> U + O then correct?
>
> Are there any potential harms to the hardware / system in case one
> tends to abuse (i.e. use more often than necessary) of this command?
> It's so often so tempting to shut down your system fast.

Short of a serious emergency (e.g., UPS with
30-sec lag and no input power) stick with
'shutdown -fh now'. The main problem is that
you bypass the stop phase of all the app's
started up via init.d; very little short of
just hitting the reset switch or yanking the
power.

--
Steven Lembark                                          +1 888 359 3508
Workhorse Computing                                       85-09 90th St