Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

>    I need to get a second ISP line into the house. I currently have a
> cable modem but it goes down once in a while and my work requires
> higher reliability so I was thinking of getting a DSL line to
> supplement it. I'd like to investigate creating some sort of
> firewall/router that could do the following:

BGP4 is the way to be truely multi-homed, but that not likely
to be an option. SCTP promises looks promising for the future,
but it is implemented at the service/application level.

I will be interested to see what others suggest for
low-budget multi homing....or some subset thereof.

I'm glad you posted this question, as my situation is slightly
different (single static IP currently) on a cable modem, but
my needs are similar to yours.

James