Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if BGP4 would be supported inside of an ISP's network?

NO, you need your won ASN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_system_(Internet)

> I don't understand SCTP yet but it seems spec oriented instead of
> being a piece of software.

It's a new RFC related more to local networks with multipath
needs. Still some applications may benefit which seem to be
multi-homed.

> Well, I have a single IP right now but I did order the DSL line today.
> If nothing else it will sit here unused and only get plugged in when
> the cable modem  line is down. That's pretty brute force
>
> I found a couple of threads about using a FreeBSD firewall called ipfw
> but the little bit of checking I did didn't show it in portage.

Ucarp is there (in portage) but it is used for (auto)failover of
routers built from pc hardware.

> I'm curious as to whether ipchains or something like that could do
> most of this. Even if it was just hooked up to both ISPs and I had to
> flip a software switch to go between them at least I wouldn't have to
> run around much to get the change enabled. I'm very sure with ipchains
> I could send the game traffic out on the DSL line and reserve cable
> modem for my work most of the time.

Certainly the rules of IPtables will have to be modified to implement
any of the various schemes to "automagically" utilize multiple
Internet connections.

That said, I found this link you may want to look at:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Dual_internet_connections

James