On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Bob Young wrote:
> I'm in the process of installing a new box, last night before going
> to bed I started installing xorg server. This morning, I found the
> 82nd build (out of 162) had failed with the following error:

<snip>

>  36 -rwxr-xr-x  1 NormalUser Domain Admins  36364 Apr 19  2007

<snip>

> Okay, so my question is how bad is it?

It's very bad. It indicates file system corruption on the ReiserFS. In
my experience, I have never seen this to be followed by a clean
recovery.

You can try reiser.fsck with --rebuild-tree (after suitably enough
research and googling) and see what gives.

Sorry for the bad news.

> Is there anyway to shutdown cleanly?

'shutdown -h now' ?

--