-----Original Message-----
From: Volker Armin Hemmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:22 AM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Cc: Bob Young
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How Bad Is This...?

>On Mittwoch, 16. April 2008, Bob Young wrote:
>> I'm in the process of installing a new box, last night before going to
>> bed I started installing xorg server. This morning, I found the 82nd
>> build(out of 162) had failed with the following error:

[snip]

>the best alternative is to check what went wrong, but since Seagates are
>known to die in the first couple of days - or almost never, this gentleman
>here would bet on a defective harddisk.
>
>Btw, you might want to read up on 'bathtub curve'. Stuff breaks early, or
>late.

Just wanted to let you know, it appears you were right, it was the HD itself
that was bad. I substituted in the other brand new Seagate, and reinstalled.

Luckily I was able to read all config files from the semi-bad drive. At this
point I'm finished installing xorg-server, and have begun installing KDE.

P.S. Next time I'll post the output of dmesg...<g>

Thanks for responding
Bob Young
San Jose, CA.