Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:48:30 +0100, Mick wrote:
>
>> I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo.  I would like to
>> be able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation,
>> from within Gentoo.  The original WinXP partition should be left well
>> alone, as it is business critical.
>
> If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The MS
> profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate it for
> the VM "hardware".

This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
reactivate it before it goes inactive.

You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
really need the clone?