Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
Well I did a little Google'ing, and i found a blog. There the author wrote:

lapitopi gyuszk # snice -15 X

As already pointed out, running process with a nice value less than 0 can only be done by root, and it's usually a really bad idea to run your entire X session as root. X (and applications running under X) involve a lot of code, and vulnerabilities can exist in this code. You don't want any vulnerabilities to be potentially exploited as the root user. Take the multiple X-terminal vulnerabilities reported last week by the Gentoo security team that could allow local attackers to hijack X11 terminals of other users. The moral is don't run as root unless you actually need to (and I'd argue that you should never need to run X sessions as root.)

After doing this, I ran htop and it told me that my X11 was running with -15 niceness. I experience better "responsiblity" under all of X11 (kde, firefox, konsole, anything). For example switching from an existing Firefox window to (for ex.) Konsole or Xchat is much faster. I have to add, I own a very slow computer, so I have to do everything to speed up my system. It is very slow even with WinXP+official drivers.

If the goal is to lower the priority of other tasks the computer may be doing at the same time, perhaps setting a higher nice value for them would offer similar results. In the case of compiling, portage provides an easy way to lower the priority with the PORTAGE_NICENESS value.

    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
    > >  > Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level
    > >  > for X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster,
    > >  > at least when I used Debian).
    > >
    > >  Nice factor for X makes graphical software run fater? I don't
    > > thinl so. Not at all.
    >
    > Nice factor gives X priority, so if you are compiling something and
    > X's priority is high, you'll be using X as if nothing was being
    > compiled.

    Only if you are root. As a normal user, you can only lower the
    priority of a process.

--
Josh