I know X runs always as root. But setting the X server process' priority to
for example -10 makes graphical software response faster. It works for me!!
(no matter the system hangs sometimes :).
I think you have a fast machine, try it with a very slow computer (sempron
processor and radeon xpress200m+fglrx).