On Thursday 15 May 2008, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
> gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently
> using. Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is
> the kernel image in /boot sufficient.  Do I need to build myself a
> new working kernel before I reboot again?  I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2
> becuase it's no longer available. Thanks

Hi Matt,

The answer to why this happens is in a thread from earlier today when
this happened to mark Knecht. Summary:

This is a new thing that --depclean does. Just remerge the sources you
want, put them in world if you want to guarantee that --depclean won't
be overly helpful in future.

As for the sources themselves, they are only needed to build a kernel or
out-of-tree modules (ati drivers, ndiswrapper, vmware-modules, etc
etc). You already have a working kernel, so you are safe. Gentoo does
not require anything in /usr/src - unlike most binary distros it
doesn't keep kernel headers there, they are somewhere else and
completely unaffected by the presence or absence of full sources.

If you do need to remerge the original sources, you can grab the
original ebuild from the gentoo attic. Google will find it for you

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com