On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Matthew R. Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
> gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently using.
> Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is the kernel image
> in /boot sufficient.  Do I need to build myself a new working kernel before I
> reboot again?  I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2 becuase it's no longer available.
> Thanks
> Matt
> --
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> Dr. Matthew R. Lee

As Alan said, I came across this earlier today. In my case
gentoo-sources was the only think in the --depclean list so I didn't
let emerge remove it but had I been presented with a longer list I
could have easily missed it.

To fix it, or be safe for the future when you are tired and not paying
much attention, you can add lines by hand in /var/lib/portage/world

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r7
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r8

Note the use of the colon instead of the dash. Don't ask me why but
that's what works.

With that I now have two kernels protected from this problem and can
still, I believe, do an emerge -C on a specific kernel that I might
want to get rid of in the future.

Hope this helps,
Mark