On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 09:07:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> > dd if=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1 2>/dev/null | strings | grep GRUB
>
>>    That single command would have saved me some heartache in the past.
>> I think it could be a good one-line addition to even something like
>> the Quick Install guide - I.e. "If you want to sanity check your grub
>> installation then run this command to ensure grub is located where you
>> think it's located..."
>
> You could check for all instances with
>
> for i in /dev/[hs]d*
> dd if=$i bs=446 count=1 2>/dev/null | strings | grep -q GRUB \
> && echo "GRUB found in $i"

This is great info. I know of one case a long time ago, maybe 2001 or
2002, where I used an older drive and got burned by a preexisting copy
of grub in the MBR conflicting with the version I had installed into a
specific partition. I kept thinking grub was working but doing the
wrong thing. I suspect that had I run some commands like the ones were
talking about here I would have found the problem. As it turned out I
didn't and went the direction of completely repartitioning the drive.
What a waste!

Cheers,
Mark