Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Not to me.
> >
> > Aha, the old "works for me" defence :)
>
> No, it's the "couldn't happen to me because my /boot is mounted ro"
> defense.

I wouldn't rely on this.  My boot wasn't mounted at all, but the ebuild
mounted it and overwrote some files.  It could just as easily remount
a /boot that had been ro.  Using DONT_MOUNT_BOOT="yes" in make.conf
should avoid it for good.

> BTW: One doesn't really need to keep grub installed after writing the
> MBR. Just unmerge it and your /boot and/or MBR are save.

True.  But I wanted the new grub, just wanted to install it to my /boot
manually.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.