On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:46:25PM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Which versions are you using, to which shall they be updated and on
> which arch are you? Knowing emerge --info and your profile might also
> help.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, versions in use:

lvm2-2.02.10
mdadm-2.6.4-r1
udev-104-r12

I've masked updates to an versions after those above. Emerge wants to
upgrade to the following:

lvm2-2.02.28-r2
udev-119

mdadm doesn't actually want to be upgraded so it must be a problem with one of
those two packages.

All I know is when I do a world update, my lvm dies and I have to reinstall or
go through a painful downgrade procedure.

> By the way: Did you report it as a bug? If not, I would certainly do so
> if I were you.

I haven't but that's because no-one else has reported problems like this, and
I can work out why its affecting me in enough detail. I don't want to submit
a but report unless I can back it up with some useful information.