On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> Neil Bothwick schrieb:
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:37:39 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> >> I have not tried this myself but you can try to copy
> >> $DISTDIR/svn-src to $WORKDIR and use 'ebuild
> >> name-of-the-ebuild.ebuild
> >> {install,qmerge}' to install it manually. See 'man ebuild' for
> >> reference.
> >
> > I was about to try this when Alan's suggestion arrived, which
> > worked. However, this is just the sort of kludgy approach that
> > appeals to me :)
>
> Yeah, using the env variable is a bit smarter than my approach. ;-)

It may be smarter, but it's also, ho hum, so *ordinary*. I mean, env
vars are supposed to be read by apps and modify their behaviour
accordingly. And here I am, offering a solution that merely uses the
system as designed. How boring....

Elegantly misusing the ebuild command to get the correct result anyway -
now that is a stroke of pure genius. I shall make a note of this in my
journal, that my grandchildren, fifty years hence, may still appreciate
how real men made operating systems back in the day.

:-)

Oh dear, I'm getting verbose again...

--
Alan McKinnon